Wednesday, April 16, 2008

article time!

The article.

You've probably already encountered it. It's about the anti-anorexia legislation passed in France.

I have mixed feelings. I do have the feeling that it's effectively impossible to be a healthy-sized female in this western universe that we inhabit and not have a hidden suspicion that life would be just a wee bit better if we were just a wee bit smaller. So I support, 100%, the idea of legislation that attempts to change pro-anorexia/pro-skinny thinking on a large-scale basis. It's amazing really. Two years in jail! I love that it's taking a stand, a bold stand. And yes, yes, yes, a change must be made. A big one.

But on the other hand I do believe in free speech. And if we're going to prosecute websites for promoting unhealthy-and-possibly-lethal lifestyle choices, we might as well shut down half the internet.

I'm on my way out to go on a bike trip in the desert with the adolescent psychiatric ward. I love this rotation. . .

No comments: