Sunday, July 5, 2009

Ahhhhhhhh!

Most squirm-inducing patient of the week:

Medical student bursts into the call room, runs over to the attending looking super nervous: "excuse me, sir, my patient said her ear hurt and I looked in there with the ear light thing, and I'm pretty sure. . . she's got a bee in there."

A few seconds of silence, and then of course we all had to go take a look. And yes, indeed, full sized honeybee.

Then poor lady had to suffer through the medical student extra-nervously trying and failing to remove the bee in its entirety with a pair of forceps. Half the body ended up sticking to her tympanic membrane. Eventually we rinsed the thing out with about 30 minutes of flowing water.

Not fun.

And yet another addition to my life list of things-I-didn't-think-I-had-to-worry-about-but-really-really-should-be-worrying-about-constantly. Considering permanent skin grafts over my auditory canal.

No comments: