Sunday, July 19, 2009

surprise!

I walked in on a rather special family moment in room 29 last night. The young married couple had just returned from a family reunion and were discussing their various and sundry relatives, when they had the simultaneous realization that his Aunt Margie, oh yes, also her Aunt Margie.

They spent my entire physical exam (White-Castle-related-nonspecific-gastroenteritis) on the phone with their parents frantically trying to figure out exactly how related they were.

Though neither seemed terribly disturbed by the news.

After some observation, a dose of Mylanta, and a detailed discussion of why going back to White Castle for dinner might not be the all time best treatment for their nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, they were discharged home to do some family bonding.

On my way out after the shift, I noticed they had taken my nutrition counseling to heart: There they were, hand in hand, walking out of McDonald's.

No comments: