Friday, March 5, 2010

Amazing

49 year old gentlewoman presented around 3am this morning with the following symptoms:

-runny nose
-scratchy throat
-dry cough

Duration? 3-4 days
Sick contacts? Husband and kids with similar symptoms
Fever? Nausea? Stomach pain? Headaches? Any other complaints? Negative times five.

"Doctor, I've been to Other-Emergency-Department three times in the past three days and they told me there's nothing wrong and nothing I can do. I've just got to know what's wrong with me! What could this possibly be? I won't leave until I have an answer and something to make it go away!"

49 years of life and three kids and apparently she has never experienced the common cold before.

This may just be a true medical miracle.

Outcome? Luckily she was duly impressed by the diagnosis "viral upper respiratory tract infection" and some saline nose drops.

I'm not sure if I find this more incredible or the 29 year old who came in a few weeks ago with a chief complaint of "vaginal bleeding" one day before her period was due (it can't be my period, something else must be bleeding in me, my period isn't due until tomorrow).




No comments: