Saturday, October 10, 2009

Feed the babies

I'm currently working on one of the developmental pediatrics wards. Most of our patients are teeny little "failure to thrive" babies (below 3rd percentile for weight). I spent most of the first week frantically ordering genetic testing, swallow studies, abdominal x-rays, examining poops (how much of my day is spent talking about poops? Oh, about 97.3% of it.) . Basically looking for any reason these little button bbs are remaining little tiny button bbs.

(Is there anything sadder than a skinny baby?).

So my staff put up with all my nonsense for about three days and then, in the middle of yet another description of various surgery consults I want to order to evaluate ye randome rare GI condition by biopsy, she stops me.

"Scopes."

I look up.

"If you feed them, they will grow."

No comments: