Monday, October 26, 2009

sounds valid to me

I got called down to a patient's room around 3pm. The nurse cornered me in the hallway. Mom was discharged hours ago but she's refusing to leave now.

I enter the room and am greeted by the healthiest looking three year old in the entire hospital. . . and mom.

"Hi mom. I've read through the chart and it looks like little Manhattan has been eating and drinking well for two days, hasn't had a fever in three days, has no new symptoms, and was cleared for discharge this morning. What's concerning you?"

"Well "doctor" (spoken in that way that makes it sound like there are quotes around it), I told the nurse and the doctors this morning that her poop smells different today than it ever has before. They seem to think it's okay to just send her home when something is clearly wrong with her poop. I mean, the doctors didn't even look at it!"

After an agonizing 35 minutes during which I, yes, examined the poop in question (it was poop)and offered mom multitudes of perfectly reasonable and not at all alarming explanations for poop changes (getting older, changes in diet, recent illness, new medications. . .) , well, little Manhattan ended up being readmitted for the night.

For smelly poop.

(Bonus points for taxpayers when the child picks up H1N1 during her extra overnight stay and ends up staying another week).

We all win.

No comments: