Saturday, November 21, 2009

Phone call of the day

We're an underfunded, understaffed community hospital, so I've gotten quite used to labs not being drawn, medications being given hours to days after they were initially ordered, charts getting lost. (It's a running "joke" here that orders should really be called gentle suggestions).

Anyway . . . mix ups, omissions, oversights, I pretty much count on them.

But this morning's error of commission caught even me off guard (and this is word for word):

"Good morning Dr. S, it's Nurse Jack on 4E. Your patient in room 63 was having some pain this morning and I know she's written for tylenol but I accidentally put in an IV and gave her 2mg of IV morphine."

::confused silence::

"Can you write an order for IV placement and the morphine for me?"

I actually did write the order after checking on the patient, though I had to file an incident report as well. At least I can relax a little, now that IV morphine has been written for, I can be relatively assured that my patient will never get it again. :-)



No comments: