Thursday, November 19, 2009

Yes please

Do wake me up at 2am 5 minutes into the only 17 minutes of sleep I'll get with the following phone call:

"Hi Dr.! It's that nursing student! Remember? You ordered some labs for me to draw a few hours ago? Well, I just drew the tube for her CBC (blood count, looking for anemia) and her blood looks so dark and thick, I don't think she could have anemia! Her blood just looks so good. Do you still want me to send it to the lab?"

Now as much as I want to believe that my nursing students are magical and can actually perform a complete blood count just by looking, I decided to yes, still send it to the lab just in case. The patient's hemoglobin level turned out to be just above the level you'd expect from an average cucumber, or starving vampire. She's receiving her second blood transfusion now.

I love the nursing staff her, and the students, and it was actually really cute. Just would have been cuter at 2 pm.





No comments: