Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Now I get it/overseen in the ED x70

So I began my rotation down in the ED mid-last-week. Chatting with the physician one afternoon, I mentioned my interest in tropical medicine and infectious diseases. "Is there anything you're hoping to see while you're here?" he asked.

"Well, I've been here three weeks and I still haven't seen a case of Dengue yet."

The doctor laughed for what felt like 47 minutes, nearly fell out of his chair. Catching his breath, he glanced out the window at the non-stop drizzle (so apparently it rains a fair amount in the rainforest), glanced at his watch and said: "wait 40 seconds."

Sure enough in the next five days I would see literally over 200+ cases of Dengue. Luckily, few are hemorrhagic, and even those are much less dramatic than the textbooks and Discovery Health specials had led me to believe.

It's absolutely endless. I can spot them from a mile off now. The shuffle, the index finger and thumb squeezing the bridge of the nose, eyes covered with a towel or bandana. We do a brief workup: check the urine for blood, check hematocrit, listen the lungs, and take a blood smear for malaria. But most leave with just a painkiller and reassurance.

Many of the patients refuse a workup, simply marching into the triage area and announcing "I have Dengue again." We thank them for letting us know, tell them to take some tylenol, and off they go.

No comments: