Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Last day in Requena

My classmates asked me at lunch how my morning went. My reply: "Completely uneventful."

What actually happened this morning was the following (I continued happily vaccinating, 81 children, all the while):

-A four year old boy wandered into the vaccine room, peed into the trash can, walked out. (With approving mother watching). ((With an actual bathroom literally one door away)).

-A stray dog wandered into the vaccine room and knocked over the now-full-of-pee trash can. Wandered out.

-A woman with a plate of hand made cheese balanced on her head stopped and swatted at the stray pee-covered dog (making contact) then entered the vaccine room and attempted to sell me cheese.

-The nurse tech encouraged me, with syringe in hand, to pause for a second and buy an unwrapped, warm piece of cheese. I considered it, considered Brucellosis, continued vaccinating.

-A three year old girl, eyes wide, grabbed her mother and pulled her into the room. Pointing at me, she asked, "Mom! Is that a gringa?"
"Yes," the mom replied, "You can touch her if you want to."
(No, no. You may not touch me. Vaccine clinic. Not a gringa petting zoo.)


Overall an uneventful morning. And a beautiful Requenalicious last day. I´ll miss you little town.

No comments: