Saturday, March 7, 2009

Oh the awkward

As I mentioned before there is a very strick sort of code of formality here, when it comes to introductions and departures and the like.

One of the tenets is that once you have been introduced to someone you must greet them with a kiss on the cheek at every future chance encounter. This happens when a nurse comes into the room to join rounds in the morning, when the waitress comes over to take your order, when a patient that you´ve met before comes in holding their morning sputum sample, etc.

The unfortunate side effect to having lived in Iquitos for over one month is that there are now a gigantic number of human beings whom we have been formally introduced to and are now prone to run into without warning. Thus while sitting here at "cyber coffee" (which, alas, serves no coffee whatsoever) or while eating lunch with my friends or while attempting to cross the street, out of nowhere I´ll feel a tap on my shoulder and turn just in time to intercept an incoming pair of lips, which often make contact before I´ve even registered who this person is.

The double difficult part is that I´m a softypoof and have no ability to ignore the street kids in the plaza selling gum and begging for food. I usually make polite conversation, occasionally buy them an ice cream in exchange for a pack of gum. This apparently counts for a formal introduction as, in the 35 minutes I´ve been sitting here typing, 4 separate children have run in, kissed me, sloppily, and run out.

Charming. I´m starting to be ready to come home.

No comments: