Sunday, March 15, 2009

The nice thing about coming home from traveling is how impossibly luxurious my everyday life feels. Endless hot water, copious amounts of toilet paper, I almost teared up in the gynecologist's office when I saw the private exam room with it's shiny padded table, clean pink gown, stacks of paper towels on the shelf next to the green tea and lemongrass scented hand soap. It's like I;m living in a 5 star hotel.

I sat in ortho lecture this morning, giggling fondly at the screen (on which the professor had misspelled anesthetized as anestheseized), with a cup of coffee in my hand, the calming hum of the air conditioner in the backgroun, powerpoint slides projected onto a shiny white screen, and just thought wow, my every day life is so unimaginably cushy.

I'm back in Israel now after 4 straight days of flying, interrupted by a 15 hour layover in Lima and a 24 hour stop in MD to pack my bags and wave to my parents.

It's this terrible week of limbo. Tomorrow night I find out if I matched and Thursday tells me where I matched. There's nothing more to be done except wait and go to class and try to remember both basic anatomy and how to practice medicine with resources.

It's hard to know what to do with myself without any tests or interviews or application forms on my horizon. (Although I have a terribly embarrassing confession to make: I picked up a USMLE Step 3 book before I left, it's not till next year and I don't even know if I'll match but I just can't imagine my life without something I should be studying). Well, I've mostly been eating Ben and Jerry's cinnamon roll ice cream and watching every episode of 30 rock consecutively.

Not bad at all.

No comments: